FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


Applying for University Places in the UK:


Can I apply to more than one university or course in the UK?

There are no rules against applying to more than one university. Rather, it’s smart of you to do so – providing their courses are similar – as it extends your chances of being accepted. Some universities will let you nominate a second course ‘in reserve’ if you feel it also meets your needs.


How much are tuition/course fees for international students who study in the UK?

The average cost per year of study in the UK for international students is around £11,000 per year in tuition fees plus living expenses, which can be £8,000 to £11,000 a year.
However, course fees can vary, and some are around £30,000 a year. For more on fees and funding, please go to our funding FAQS


What is University clearing?

UCAS – the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service is the organisation that deals with all applications to British Universities. University offers through UCAS, in most cases, offers are conditional on achieving the predicted grades or even better. A-Level results come out in mid-August. If a student does not achieve the grades on which the chosen offers were made, then the offers may be withdrawn but they can wait for university clearing places and apply directly to the university and the course of their choice.


I am interested in coming to the university as a visiting student.

Some Colleges will consider applications from overseas students wishing to undertake a short course of undergraduate study as a visiting student. Check on individual university websites

Prospective incoming Erasmus students who wish to undertake a traineeship/work placement at the University should contact the relevant Department/Faculty directly for further information.

The University has a number of partnerships with overseas institutions under Erasmus+ which facilitate student exchanges in certain subject areas.

You may also be interested in looking at International Summer Programmes run by universities.


How Can I apply to Study in the UK?

Coming to study in the UK is your opportunity to gain the skills, outlook and see the world as well as built your confidence to fulfil your full potential.

Applying to study in the UK is a straightforward process and we will guide you through it step by step.

Please contact us and our team in Kenya will be at hand to help you through every process from:


  • Deciding on a university or college and course
  • Registering and applying
  • Accepting your offer
  • Applying for a visa
  • And preparing for your stay



Information on UK Accommodation:


How long are the rental contracts?

The average contract length is 41 weeks to 50 weeks.


What is the minimum tenancy period?

By law, you cannot rent a property in the UK for less than 6 months this is to protect both the landlord and the tenant.


Are there any other costs when renting a property?

Yes, utility bills eg. Gas, Electricity, Council Tax, Wifi, Water. However, we will source accommodations that include bills.


What is a holding deposit?

A holding deposit is a non-refundable amount paid to the Landlord/Estate Agent when you intend to rent a property and want them to place a hold on the property being shown to other prospective tenants, while you go through the referencing/credit check process. The amount requested is usually the equivalent of a week’s rent.


What is a tenancy deposit?

Landlords will ask you to pay a tenancy deposit before you move in (together with a month’s rent in advance). A deposit gives the landlord security in case you cause damage to the property or don’t pay rent. The deposit belongs to you and you should get it back when you move out and if there is no damage or rent owed. The Tenancy Deposit requested vary from one Landlord to the other and can amount to 1 month’s rent – five week’s rent.


What is the tenancy deposit scheme?

Under the England and Wales law, landlords are legally required to safeguard the deposit paid by tenants in the tenancy deposit scheme within 30 days of getting it.
At the end of the 12 months, you have to return the property in the same condition that it was originally let, allowing for fair wear and tear. If you and your landlord or agent can’t agree how much of your deposit should be returned, then you have access to a free dispute mechanism, set out in the protection scheme.
The Tenancy Deposit Scheme agent will make sure you get your deposit back if you:


  • Meet the terms of your tenancy agreement
  • Don’t damage the property
  • Pay your rent and bills


Why you need a reference to rent a property in the UK

Landlords will want a reference to ensure you pay the rent on time and look after the property. Because in most cases students don’t have any renting history or full-time employment, the landlord will also seek a guarantor.


What is a guarantor and why you need one?

A guarantor is a person who agrees to act as guarantor for the named student in the duration of the Tenancy Agreement. As a guarantor, they also agree to act as a next of kin for the student in the duration of the tenancy agreement.
A guarantor is someone who agrees to pay your rent if you don’t pay it, for example, a parent, close relative or an agent. Your landlord can take legal action to get any unpaid rent from your guarantor. Your landlord may want to check that your guarantor is able to pay the rent in the same way that they’ve checked your ability to pay. For example, by carrying out a credit check.


Does the guarantor have to live in the UK?

Landlords will want a guarantor who lives in the UK, as it’s easier for them to take legal action against a UK resident if they need to.
This may present a problem for you if you’re coming from abroad, for example, if you’re an international student. If you can’t get a guarantor who lives in the UK, you will be asked to pay a year’s rent in advance or Unifusion Company Ltd will act on your behalf in the UK, subject to completed and signed student agreement contract and 6 month’s rent paid in advance.